Health A-Z Archives: Amalgam Fillings

By Mary-Ann Shearer – Natural Health author and founder of The Academy of Natural Health and The Natural Way

AMALGAM FILLINGS

“Amalgam fillings contain mercury [Hg], and mercury and its compounds are toxic and tend to accumulate in higher animals such as humans” – Dictionary of Chemistry – Penguin.

The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology in Canada (IAOMT) has advised that mercury amalgam fillings should be discontinued until such time as primary pathological evidence of amalgam safety is produced. Although we’ve been led to believe that these fillings are stable and harmless, when combined with other components of silver dental amalgam, this is not the case. Mercury vapour is released, and adsorbed, taking approximately 70 days to pass out of the body. This continuous exposure to mercury vapour accumulates in the body over years, resulting in numerous health problems related to the Central Nervous System, such as headaches, weakness, sleeplessness, loss of appetite and weight, gastrointestinal problems, joint and muscle aches, metallic taste, sore gums and tongue, increased or decreased salivation, black lines on teeth, increased risk of infection, enlarged thyroid, liver and kidney problems, breathlessness, vertigo, irregular heartbeat, irritability, nervousness, timidity, loss of memory, depression, tremors, manic depression, psychosis, double vision, involuntary eye movements, and slight to severe skin changes.

The IAOMT’s experimental evidence shows that the act of chewing, grinding or brushing of teeth releases mercury from the fillings and this is increased if heat is added-such as eating hot foods.

Research also indicates that mercury passes through to the foetus of a pregnant women and can be found in breast milk and most foetal and maternal organs and tissues within 30 days of amalgam fillings being placed in teeth (Journal of American Physiology — April 1990)

These researchers further concluded that mercury vapour released from dental amalgam fillings is absorbed by the lungs, gastrointestinal tract, jaw bone and progressively accumulates in maternal and foetal tissues. They conclude that, “our laboratory findings in this investigation are at variance with the anecdotal opinion of the dental profession which claims fillings are safe.”

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has concluded that the average person has more to fear from dental mercury than from food sources, although Carl Pheiffer Ph.D. MD states that “pesticides and some large fish are the most notorious sources of mercury” (Mental and Elemental nutrients — Keats). This source of mercury stems from water pollution with mercury from chlorine and paper factories. Whether from fish or fillings, the fact remains that mercury accumulates in the brain.

Eventually concentrations are reached that damage neural elements, resulting in a variety of clinical manifestations. Physiologist Robert Siblerud states that a mouth with many fillings could release up to 560 milligrams of mercury over several years … a very toxic dose (R L Siblerud. American Journal of Psychotherapy — October 1998).

A study of nearly 400 people by the Swedish Health Insurance Bureau found that replacing amalgam fillings led, after 2 years, to a 33% reduction in sick leave (CA Strong. ‘Nurse Practitioner’ — June 1993).

In a further study, Robert Siblerud found that people with many fillings had twice as many ‘mental symptoms’ as people with no fillings. The most conspicuous symptoms being the angry outbursts, depression, fatigue and morning sickness. He also found that mental health improved when amalgam fillings were removed, the same applied for persons with multiple sclerosis (Dealing with Depression — Syd Baumel).
Many dental associations such as those in Germany and Sweden, are now recognising the dangers of amalgam fillings and banning their use in pregnant women and small children. The most common symptom of mercury poisoning is low body temperature, chronic fatigue, a metallic taste in the mouth, and suicide tendencies.

What to do:
The most obvious step would be to remove these fillings in one’s mouth — This is costly and traumatic.

Replace fillings with real gold (if you can afford it!) or porcelain.

A diet high in ‘raw’ fruit and vegetables results in a high intake of natural Vitamin C — which is the best natural detoxifier of mercury in the body. (Drs William Philpot and Dwight Kalita – Brain Allergies)

Find a good source of chlorophyll, BarleyLife! is the best! Take 2 – 4 teaspoons a day. Chlorophyll neutralizes mercury’s toxic properties in the body

Many people in fact blame any ache, pain or ailment on mercury fillings when other changes such as a healthier diet, exercise, or a change of attitude would actually be of far more benefit. Either way, without a change in lifestyle, removing amalgam fillings would not necessarily result in improved health, but it might just!

All Health A-Z Archives are used with permission from The Natural Way, http://www.naturalway.co.za


Sign up now for our FREE 100 Days to Health newsletter!

You get 100 daily emails full of natural health information, health tips, and healthy recipes to help change your life. We help you take small steps and begin integrating The 5 Basic Steps of Natural Health,  based on The Natural Way, 30+ years of research, integration, and education by Mary-Ann Shearer.

If you are ready to take steps and improve your health like thousands of others, sign up for our newsletter, purchase our support products and get started! Healthy Eating + Healthy Choices = Healthy Living

Posted in All and tagged , , .